Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Repentance

"Have mercy on me, O God, because of your unfailing love. Because of your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins. Wash me clean from my guilt. Purify me from my sin." (Psalm 51:1-2)

And so begins David's prayer of repentance after the prophet Nathan confronts him regarding his sins of adultery and murder.  Psalm 51 gives us a glimpse into the heart of a man who not only messed up in a big way, but also repented in a big way.  Today, let me suggest that we crack open our Bibles to Psalm 51 and pray David's prayer regarding our own sins.  David is called, "a man after God's own heart"--not because he was perfect, but rather because he knew how to repent. 

“Cheap grace is the grace we bestow on ourselves. Cheap grace is the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline, Communion without confession...Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ, living and incarnate.” --Dietrich Bonhoeffer

No comments: