Monday, May 11, 2015

I Choose Gentleness

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but harsh words stir up anger." (Proverbs 15:1)

Gentleness is a fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) and is not something that you can force yourself to become.  You are either gentle or you are not.  We have a natural response when things don't go our way or when someone gets in our face--it's likely not a gentle answer.  "But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.  For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please." (Galatians 5:16-17) 

How do we begin to experience the Spirit's fruit?  We must submit to the Spirit's leadership by trusting and obeying.  The Spirit must increase and the flesh must decrease.  Whatever you decide to feed today is what will grow. Will you feed the flesh? Or will you feed the Spirit through time in the Word and prayer? 

I Choose Gentleness . . . Nothing is won by force. I choose to be gentle. If I raise my voice may it only be in praise. If I clench my fist, may it only be in prayer. If I make a demand, may it be only of myself.  --Max Lucado

No comments: